CAC Cactus

CAC Rodeo Team

Leah Cirks, Cactus Writer

The CAC Rodeo team is off to a great start this season with both the men and women’s teams taking 1st place.

As of October 2017, the men’s rodeo team is first in their division with 2573 total points. They have a sizable lead on the 2nd place team, New Mexico State University, with 1854 total points.

The Vaqueras are also first in their division with 1707.50 total points. They have a generous lead over Cochise College with 1170 total points.

According to the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association, Clay Elkington is first in the Men’s All-around division with 857 points. Lakota Lee Bird is first in the Women’s All-around division with a total of 710 points.

There are several events that take place in a rodeo in which a contestant can score different points. Two to four judges award a contestant points based on their performance as well as their animal’s performance.

Different events include: calf roping, breakaway roping and team roping, barrel racing, steer wrestling and goat tying as well as bronc riding and bull riding.

Roping events involve throwing a rope around a calf or steer in attempts to restrain the animal. These events derived from tasks that a cowboy would do to help restrain cattle to either brand or give medical treatment.

Barrel racing is a timed event in which a rider nimbly navigates around barrels. Steer wrestling is another timed event where a competitor literally grabs the bull by the horns and wrestles it to the ground. Goat tying is much like calf roping; a goat must be wrestled to the ground and have three legs restrained.

Bronc riding can be done one of two ways: bareback bronc riding or saddle bronc riding. It is basically the difference between riding with or without a saddle. Bull riding is very similar to bareback bronc riding except the danger is greatly increased.

Each one of these events takes extreme dedication and skill. Imagine trying to last eight seconds on an enraged bull trying its hardest to buck you off of its back. Can you imagine the patience and skills necessary to face that beast and show him that you’re not screwing around? Even after managing to last eight seconds on that raging bull, can you imagine having a perfect form? One toe out of line can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

The head rodeo coach, Joe Moody stated, “Women compete in barrel racing, breakaway, team roping, and goat tying and men compete in tie-down roping, team roping, steer wrestling, and saddle bronc riding.”

Junior Zambrano, a member on the team, stated that CAC is “more of a roping school than a rough stock school,” meaning there are more roping events than events where contestants ride the livestock.

Many of the members of the rodeo team start off at a young age. For them, it’s more than a sport; it’s a lifestyle.

Rodeo is not for the faint of heart; it’s action packed, so there’s never a dull moment. Support the CAC Rodeo Team by going to competitions or by participating in the talent show, Pinal’s Got Talent. They deserve our support because they’re pretty amazing!