The student news site of Central Arizona College

CAC Cactus

Taking Style Cues From the Count

Socorro Carrillo, Cactus Staff Writer

Before our television screens were filled with rouge colored wee Muppets, we were learning our numbers from a lavender hued organ-playing Vampire known as the Count. Sure Sesame Street was filled with what seems like a bazillion smiling faces, but I have always had a soft spot for the sanguine sugar coated version of Dracula. In the spirit of Halloween, we’ll be piecing together an outfit inspired by the world’s most loveable blood sucker. Dearest readers: I think you’ll really sink your teeth in to this one.

You’ll need:

1. One Cape.

With fall already in full affect, you’ll need a light piece of outerwear for the “biting” Arizona Weather. If it’s below seventy I’m running toward a cardigan. However, Cardigans quickly become boring when the weather turns. Instead opt for a cape. The wide-bell like sleeves will keep you warm without weighing you down. Bonus points for wide buttons akin to a peacoat. Colors should be kept dark. Normally, I would say color is acceptable but for fall its best to keep your palette filled with moody blacks and stormy navy.

1. Two Boots.

Now I understand that The Count’s bottom half is never seen. But is it so wrong to speculate that he most likely wore a pair of stylish leather loafers? We’re going to go with- No. For your feet, turn those imagined loafers into trendy leather boots. Their length should range from calf to over-knee. Ankle cut is too short and thigh high—well they should be kept in a coffin. Keep the color limited to black.

1. Three Layers.

Autumn is indeed upon us. Which means layering is also back from the dead. The neat thing about layering is the polish that it will add to your look. First, take a crisp oxford shirt in either white or grey, then throw a sweater vest over it. Sweater vests are perfect for layering because you get the best of both worlds. You keep warm and have the perfect preppy piece to pull you together. Color in this case really isn’t a factor as long as it’s kept neutral (think creams, blacks, grays). Finally, you’ll want to put a skinny belt around your waist. The belt helps add to posh quality of layering and contour your waist for a shaping effect.

fashion_count

1. Four Pockets.

Yes, I know this is a reach but I’m really quite a fan of continuity. Your four pockets will be located on your pants, two in the front and two in the back. Pockets are probably one of the most over looked pieces of an outfit. Without realizing it, pockets can take your pants from casual to put-together in no time. Make sure your pockets are flat against your back side and thighs, bulges and inside-out pockets look unsightly. Next make sure your pants are slim cut so that way they fit into your boots. Color should also be kept dark.

There you have it—an outfit that’s to die for inspired by The Count.

}